Please click here for our latest coronavirus (COVID-19) response and preparedness.

Couples and Addiction Recovery

It is rare but possible for a couple to get off of drugs or alcohol together. It is hard for couples to do because recovery is a personal and singular experience. Even though many couples get addicted to drugs together or drink themselves into oblivion, each partner faces why they use substances to numb their own issues.

However, the idea of getting clean and sober together is wonderful. It is more detrimental for only one person to quit while the other remains on drugs or drinking. When one person stays addicted, they will threaten the success of the other. A couple’s recovery can happen with the proper support for each individual.

Fact: Couples who get sober rarely stay together as, for many, the drug or drink was the foundation of their union. 

Couples and Addiction Recovery

What Can Prevent Couples Achieving Recovery?

The nature of addiction to drugs and or alcohol is a complex condition of the mind and emotions. Many people in relationships discover that they need in-depth counseling or professional therapy for their issues from childhood or an undiagnosed mental health disorder that comes to light once they are in treatment.

Another roadblock to both people acquiring recovery is the issue of co-dependency. Couples stay together to be together. Sometimes co-dependency can blindside recovery. When a couple misses the other person as they knew them before getting clean, the desire to be in love, even though it involves drugs/alcohol, can thwart the desire to put drugs or alcohol down.

What if One Person Relapses?

Unfortunately, this is the most likely scenario when couples get clean together. Recovery is a very personal process, one may seem stronger at first, and then six months or three years later, give up. When a relapse happens for one person, it is essentially happening to both. There is no other way to judge the power of addiction. For many couples, the mere idea of one of them getting drunk or high causes cravings. +

The answer is to support each other by taking guidance from professionals on what to do if someone relapses. Often, when a professional is involved, the end result is to get the person back into rehab as soon as possible so as not to sway the other towards a relapse.

35% of married couples end in divorce because of drug and alcohol use, the other 65% end because of infidelity and financial problems. (NIH)

What Programs Are Recommended for Couples in Recovery?

There are specialized therapy types for couples wanting to free themselves of addictions. For example, the National Institute of Health describes behavioral couples therapy as a solid therapy type.

Behavioral Couples Therapy (BCT) is designed for married or cohabiting individuals seeking help for alcoholism or drug abuse. BCT sees the substance-abusing patient together with the spouse or live-in partner. Its purposes are to build support for abstinence and to improve relationship functioning. BCT promotes abstinence with a “recovery contract” that involves both members of the couple in a daily ritual to reward abstinence. BCT improves the relationship with techniques for increasing positive activities and improving communication. (NIH)

What Treatment Programs are Available for Couples?

We provide addiction treatment for couples in all of our structured rehab programs. Our expertise includes one-on-one counseling, behavioral therapy, group therapy, holistic therapy, and couples therapy. We offer personalized treatment plans for the following substances:

  • Alcohol
  • Heroin
  • Fentanyl
  • Prescription Pain Killers
  • Cocaine and Crack Cocaine
  • Benzodiazepines
  • Marijuana
  • Prescription Stimulants
  • Club Drugs

Evoke Wellness In Florida Provides Couples Therapy and Treatment

Evoke Wellness will design a custom treatment plan for you and your partner. We support many couples in their recovery by addressing the needs of each then providing them individual therapy and couples therapy. As a result, couples in recovery at Evoke Wellness FL achieve long-term recovery together or separate. A couple’s goals must be focused on recovery, as this is the key for relationships that are overcoming addictions.

Ready to Make a Change?

We understand that the treatment process can be difficult at times. At Evoke Wellness Florida, we are committed to assisting you in making progress towards a new life free from the grips of addiction.

For Confidential Help, Call: