At Evoke Wellness at Miramar, we pride ourselves on offering comprehensive, state-of-the-art care for various mental health and substance abuse issues. As part of our commitment to providing the best care possible, we believe educating our community on the unique symptoms and experiences of those dealing with mental health conditions is essential. Call us at 866.931.9312 to learn more about bipolar symptoms in women and mental health treatment, the signs and symptoms that are often present, and how they may differ from those experienced by men.
Bipolar Symptoms in Women
Bipolar disorder, formerly known as manic-depressive illness, is a mental health condition characterized by extreme mood swings. These mood swings can range from mania (elevated mood) to depression (low mood). Although both men and women experience these symptoms, there are some critical differences in how they manifest in women.
- Rapid Cycling — Women with bipolar disorder are more likely to experience rapid cycling, which involves four or more mood episodes within a year. Rapid cycling can make maintaining stability in one’s life challenging, as mood changes occur more frequently.
- Hormonal Influence — Hormones may affect the severity of bipolar symptoms in women. Many women report experiencing increased mood symptoms around their menstrual cycle, during pregnancy, or following childbirth.
- Co-occurring Disorders — Women with bipolar disorder are more likely to have co-occurring conditions, such as anxiety disorders, eating disorders, and substance use disorders. This can complicate treatment and make it more challenging to manage bipolar symptoms effectively.
- Misdiagnosis — Women are more likely to be misdiagnosed with borderline personality disorder (BPD) than men, who could be labeled as having a bipolar disorder when in reality they have BPD
These are some of the differences between bipolar in men and women, but the illness in all genders is serious and needs to be treated by mental health professionals.
Bipolar Symptoms in Females
Recognizing the signs of bipolar symptoms in females is crucial for early intervention and effective treatment. Some common symptoms experienced by women with bipolar disorder include:
- Depressive Symptoms — Persistent feelings of sadness, hopelessness, or guilt, lack of interest in activities once enjoyed, fatigue, and changes in appetite or sleep patterns
- Manic Symptoms — Elevated mood, increased energy, rapid or pressured speech, racing thoughts, impulsivity, and engaging in high-risk behaviors
- Mixed Episodes—Women with bipolar disorder may also experience mixed episodes, which involve symptoms of both mania and depression simultaneously. Mixed episodes can make it particularly challenging to identify and diagnose bipolar disorder in women, although mixed episodes can occur in men as well
If you or your loved one experiences these symptoms, you should get help immediately from a treatment center like Evoke Wellness at Miramar.
Signs of Bipolar Disorder in Women: Treatment Options at Evoke Wellness at Miramar
At Evoke Wellness at Miramar, we understand the unique challenges faced by women with bipolar disorder. Our compassionate and experienced staff is dedicated to providing comprehensive, evidence-based treatment to help manage signs of bipolar disorder in women and improve the quality of life for our patients. Our treatment options include the following:
- Dual Diagnosis — We recognize the importance of addressing co-occurring conditions, such as substance use disorders, in conjunction with bipolar disorder treatment. Our dual diagnosis program ensures patients receive the integrated care they need for optimal recovery.
- Individual and Group Therapy — Our therapists utilize evidence-based therapies, such as cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), and acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), to help patients develop coping skills and manage their bipolar symptoms effectively.
- Medication Management — Medication may be an essential component of bipolar disorder treatment for many women. Our team works closely with patients to develop a personalized medication plan to manage their symptoms safely and effectively.
- Holistic Therapies — We offer a variety of holistic therapies, such as yoga, acupuncture, and nutrition education, to support patients’ overall well-being during their recovery journey.
If you or a loved one is struggling with bipolar disorder, Evoke Wellness at Miramar is here to help. Our dedicated and compassionate team is committed to providing personalized care to address the unique needs of our patients. Contact us today to learn how our programs can help you toward a healthier, more balanced life.
Manage Bipolar Disorder Symptoms at Evoke Wellness at Miramar
Bipolar disorder can present unique challenges for women, but with the proper support and treatment, it is possible to manage symptoms and lead a fulfilling life. At Evoke Wellness at Miramar, we are dedicated to providing the highest level of care for our patients, with a strong focus on addressing the specific needs of women with bipolar disorder. If you or someone you love is struggling with bipolar disorder, don’t hesitate to reach out at 866.931.9312 to our compassionate team for help. Together, we can work towards a brighter future.