Amy Jade Winehouse, an English singer, and songwriter was known for her deep and expressive vocals, and mix of soul, jazz, and rhythm, and blues music. Back in 2006, Winehouse released one of her most popular songs of all time titled “Rehab”. She won five awards at the 2008 “50th Grammy Awards” for her album “Back to Black” in which the song “Rehab” appeared, and the album ended up being one of the best-selling albums in UK history.
Winehouse’s History of Substance Abuse
Amy Winehouse had long struggled with alcohol and drug issues. It had been well-documented that she had problems with heroin, crack cocaine, marijuana, and alcohol, but repeatedly refused rehab or psychiatric help. Born on September 14, 1983, the British singer passed away on July 23, 2011, at the young age of 27 from alcohol poisoning. Winehouse was found deceased in her north London flat, by paramedics, with empty vodka bottles on the floor. An autopsy was performed and Winehouse had 416 mg of alcohol per decilitre in her blood which is enough alcohol to depress a person’s respiratory system and put them into a coma.
Amy Whinehouse Was Under Medical Care for Alcoholism
At the time of her death, Winehouse was finally under the care of a psychiatrist and psychologist and was taking Librium to help with the anxiety and withdrawal symptoms of alcoholism. Supposedly she did have a short period of abstinence before experiencing this fatal relapse.
Did Drug Addiction Lead to Amy Winehouse Death
In a report put out by ABC News in August of 2011, Winehouse’s family claims that the toxicology report showed no illegal drugs in the singer’s system at the time of her death. This does not however give us a definitive answer of whether any drugs were involved in her death though. It is very possible that drugs could have contributed to the cause, but were either missed by the testing procedures done or possibly even metabolized before the test was performed. The final cause of Winehouse’s death was listed as alcohol toxicity.
Alcohol Poisoning is Dangerous
Alcohol poisoning is a dangerous and possibly deadly consequence of drinking a large amount of alcohol in a short period. Alcohol is broken down and metabolized by the liver over some time. When an individual drinks more than the body can keep up with, the toxins get into the person’s bloodstream. This is called alcohol toxicity. Some of the signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning can include:
- Slurred speech
- Slow or irregular breathing
- Loss of coordination
- Low body temperature (hypothermia)
- Pale or blue skin
- Brain damage or death
Alcohol poisoning should always be treated in a hospital. Blood alcohol levels can continue to rise for up to 40 minutes after a person’s last drink which can cause their symptoms to become much more severe.
Treatment for Chronic Alcoholism
Alcoholism treatment is best done in a closely monitored medically supervised treatment environment. One should never attempt to detox off of alcohol alone or at home. It is very dangerous and can be deadly. If you or someone you love is struggling with alcoholism, our alcohol specialists are available around the clock to assist you. Evoke Wellness at Miramar offers cutting-edge addiction treatment. We offer a safe environment and treat our clients with respect. We specialize in making sure our patients have the safest and most comfortable detox process possible. You no longer have to continue to suffer out of fear. Give us a call today to help end the misery that alcoholism brings into the lives of you and your loved ones.