Some drugs, such as prescription medications, can significantly improve the quality of life for individuals suffering from various ailments. On the other hand, recreational drugs can lead to adverse consequences for users, ranging from social and financial issues to severe health problems. One such drug, Dimethyltryptamine (DMT), has gained attention due to its intense and powerful effects. Evoke Wellness at Miramar aims to explore the side effects of DMT and offer the available treatment options for those struggling with its use.
What Is DMT?
Dimethyltryptamine, commonly known as DMT, is a naturally occurring psychedelic compound in certain plants and animals. It has a long history of use in traditional shamanic rituals and is also present in the popular South American entheogenic brew, ayahuasca. DMT is known for inducing intense, short-lived hallucinogenic experiences, often called “breakthroughs” or “hyperspace.” The drug is typically smoked, vaporized, or consumed orally in the form of ayahuasca.
Is DMT Addictive?
DMT is not considered to be physically addictive, as it does not cause the same kind of compulsive use or withdrawal symptoms associated with drugs like opioids or alcohol. However, some users may develop a psychological dependence on the drug, seeking out its powerful and transformative experiences as a form of escape or self-discovery. It’s essential to recognize that even substances without physically addictive properties can still lead to adverse outcomes, and DMT is no exception.
Side Effects of DMT
While DMT has gained a reputation for its profound and mystical experiences, it can also produce a range of side effects. These effects can vary from person to person, depending on factors such as individual sensitivity, dosage, and the method of consumption.
Physical Side Effects:
- Increased heart rate and blood pressure – DMT can cause a significant increase in heart rate and blood pressure, which can be dangerous for individuals with pre-existing cardiovascular issues.
- Nausea and vomiting – Particularly when consumed in the form of ayahuasca, DMT can cause intense nausea and vomiting. This is often referred to as “purging” in traditional shamanic contexts and is considered a normal part of the experience.
- Dizziness and lack of coordination – DMT can impair one’s sense of balance and motor skills, leading to an increased risk of accidents and injuries.
- Pupil dilation – Like other psychedelics, DMT can cause pupil dilation, resulting in increased sensitivity to light.
Psychological Side Effects:
- Intense and unpredictable hallucinations – DMT can induce vivid, immersive, and often overwhelming hallucinations that can be either positive or negative. Sometimes, these experiences can lead to anxiety, panic, or even a temporary loss of touch with reality.
- Paranoia and delusions – Some users may experience a heightened sense of paranoia or develop delusional beliefs while under the influence of DMT.
- Depersonalization and derealization – DMT can cause feelings of detachment from one’s self or environment, which can be distressing and lead to a sense of dissociation.
- Flashbacks and persistent perceptual changes – In rare cases, individuals may experience flashbacks or lasting changes in perception after using DMT. This phenomenon, known as hallucinogen-persisting perception disorder (HPPD), can be highly disruptive to daily functioning.
For those struggling with the side effects of DMT use or psychological dependence on the substance, professional help is available. Evoke Wellness at Miramar offers a comprehensive and evidence-based approach to substance.
Treatment for DMT Side Effects at Evoke Wellness at Miramar
Don’t let the DMT side effects keep you from living a healthy, fulfilling life. Reach out to Evoke Wellness at Miramar today at 866.931.9312 or fill our our online form to start your journey toward recovery and self-discovery. With expert guidance and support, you can overcome the challenges of DMT use and embrace a future filled with growth, happiness, and newfound purpose.